High Desert Equine - Mobile Veterinary Servicing Reno and Northern Nevada
High Desert Equine, Reno Nevada
horse image  
  HIgh Desert Equine Mobile Veterinary Servicing Reno and Northern Nevada


horse image  

Return to Home Page about us
Medicine and Clinics
Lameness and Prepurchase Exam
Dentistry Mare & Foal
Horse Health Articles

   Member AAEP   American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine

Pet Folio Magazine

Heifer International



   I am fielding lots of calls about increased scrutiny of paperwork at the California border. I spoke with an official at the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) last week to clarify their enforcement policy regarding horse transport. First of all, despite a lot of buzz on the internet earlier this year, there has been NO CHANGE in the law regarding interstate horse transport. The federal government is gearing up to get involved in regulating animal movement, but that HAS NOT YET HAPPENED. Interstate transport of horses is still regulated at the state level.

   Both Nevada and California require a Coggins (Equine Infectious Anemia) test current within 6 months, and an interstate health certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) issued within 30 days. Nevada also requires a brand inspection.

   The people at the California border inspection stations are not authorized to detain you or fine you if your paperwork is not in order. They do have a form which they are supposed to fill out that identifies you and establishes that your brand inspection, CVI, and coggins are in order. If they find that your paperwork is not correct, then they contact a CDFA Health Inspector and pass along your information. It is the Health Inspector’s job to track you down and issue a warning or citation as they see fit. In Nevada, brand inspectors travelling on the highways can pull over any vehicle transporting horses and ask to see paperwork and issue warnings and fines.

   The CDFA official I spoke with explained that the California inspection station border guards can use their discretion regarding completion of the livestock identification form for horses. If they are busy, they may verbally question you, ask to see Coggins or CVI, or just wave you on through. However, they do have the right to ask you to pull over, come inside, produce your paper work and supply personal identification information which they will record.

Bottom line: if you chose to transport your horse across state lines without current Coggins, CVI, and brand inspection, you are liable to be fined. You are required to pull over and answer questions at the California border stations at the border guards’ request. Finally, there is a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) issued in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana that is good for 6 months. California does not issue 6 month CVI’s but they do accept them. Nevada does not issue or recognize the 6 month CVI.



© RenoCustomWeb.com

Emergency Vet
(775) 742-2823
Email us at

Dr.Collatos Interactive Vet Blog

Smart Spending

Face Book Link for Chrysann Collatos VMD

child rider image

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

PO BOX 60730
RENO NV 89506

EMERGENCY (775) 742-2823                   OFFICE (775) 969-3495

FAX (775) 969-3923